THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES ?

Thursday, May 15, 2008

There's More Than One Way to Educate a Geek

This post is about a topic that I've been putting a lot of thought into lately; education. As most of you know I'm quite interested in science. It doesn't exactly take Sherlock to figure that out. One of the major points of thought has been being able to find a job, of a scientific nature, around home.

We recently mapped out what courses I would take for the rest of high school. This year I took(excluding non-scientific courses) Biology, Chemistry, and Algebra I. The "usual" course after Chem is Physics. I would like to take it, but I havn't taken Algebra II or Geometry. So we figured that next year, I would take Advanced Bio, Marine Bio, Algebra II, and Geometry. In my Junior year, I would take Physics, Adv. Chem, and Trig. Finally, I would take Adv. Physics and Pre-Calc. Then we started discussing college...

We've looked up some of the degrees and their requirements from OU. Some of my top interests include: Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering(with a Bio-Technology option), and Microbiology(professional). Bo thinks that if I get a degree in Environmental Engineering and then get a law degree, I will be in high demand around here.

After looking at the college stuff, we started looking at concurrent courses. Then we wondered if it would be logical to take all these advanced courses in my high-school year, instead of just moving onto college courses. All this information is kind of exciting and overwhelming at the same time! Anyway, I would like for you to give your opinions and prayers.


Adios!

7 comments:

Inquiries said...

Good grief Colt! My brain hurts just thinking about taking those!

The stronger ground you have in high school the better off you are. In my opinion.

Sea-gal said...

I think you can take college level courses at the same time you're in H.S. Then you would be getting credits to apply to your college. Plus, I think they have a lot of comp out test you can take so you don't have to repeat a lot of STUFF you already learned. Keep us posted - I want to know what you find out! Things and requirements change so fast anymore it's hard to keep up. Keep up the good work - - -you do us all proud!

Course of Perfection said...

I think taking the ACT will answer most questions for us. It should show us if he's ready to move on or not. We can then pick up the pace of high school a bit or take our time!

I agree, this IS exciting, but a little scary at the same time. A career map at 15? Wow. Of course, all these plans are God willing. Colt's direction could be changed!

~Country Girl~ said...

Hey Colt! Just wanted to say HI! And see how you were. Your mom said you had a good time at Mr. John's, Me to:} I'm really glad you got to come. I'm going to put some pictures I took at John's on my blog. I got some good ones of you!! lol:}Anyways, Hope you have a great week!:}

Peace out

mornin'lady said...

Sounds like you guys are way ahead of the program in your thinking compared to most folks and that's actually awesome!! I'm fully confident that the Lord will lead your thoughts in His wisdom each step of the way. Stay in His Peace and keep up the awesome effort Colt (and Mom) :)

Bag Blog said...

I vote for the concurent classes. Toby who is an amazing math person did not think Jesse could handle college algebra and that she should take the pre-algebra course first (she scored 19 in Alg on her ACT). I insisted that Jesse did not need the pre-alg class and could handle the col alg. Having been a public school teacher, I know what goes on in PS. Toby was still doubtful. Jesse took the college alg. class and made an A. In fact, she took calculus later and made an A in that too. It is all in the study habits. Bo and Bodie are the ones to know about college classes.

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

I know that you can take some online college credit courses in just about any of those directions. My brother, who is a principle in a small school south of here, has had kids graduate high school with anywhere from 15-30 college credit hours already under their belts. Stay the course your on and you'll be far ahead of the curve come May 2010.